Family Picture

Family Picture

Sunday, September 28, 2014

September and School

Hard to believe September is almost over.  We are rolling right along with our homeschooling.  Anna is in 5th grade this year and doing really well. She can do a lot of her assignments independently while I work with Amy.  I give Amy some workbook pages when I need to work with Anna.  Anna and I later go over all of her lessons together when Amy is doing some school work on the computer.  The girls have learned how to share Mom and work quietly most of the time.  Amy is progressing quickly and because we schooled through the summer, she will be ready to bump up to 1st grade work much sooner than I anticipated.  I am happy to say I had to ship a boxful of kindergarten curriculum back to the bookstore as it would be too easy for her.  She is so proud of being able to read words all my herself! She and I often go to another room to work on phonics and reading out loud. Both girls have their own math dvd lessons to watch, then practice in their workbooks.
Two smart girls. We are blessed! They love being able to homeschool. We can go at their own pace.  We are learning so much and reading so many good books. We are learning some hymns and patriotic songs as we have music time.  We all agree though, one of our favorite times of our day is our Bible time.  When the weather is nice, we often go out on the porch for this.  We are also keeping individual Thankful notebooks.  This keeps each of us a running list of things we are thankful for on any given day.  Small things and big things. We are learning that we have so many little things to be thankful for and we often take them for granted.  Lots of small things add up to a big thing!  Amy is so very happy for us girls to have so much time together.  About once a week, Amy wants me to write in her notebook:  "I'm thankful for my mama because in China, I did not have one!"
Amy doing math at her work table.

Anna working on science at her table

Amy practicing her long vowel sounds.  She wrote them and marked them long.

Bible/devotion/prayer time on the porch

We do all of these together.  A little something for everyone.  

Our chalk board with the Bible verse of the week

Anna's bulletin board/ reading spot

Amy's bulletin board and reading spot


Riding bikes with PAPA

No comments:

YOU MIGHT LIKE THIS: