Family Picture

Family Picture

Thursday, October 3, 2013

The Busy Little Squirrel


Amy is learning so much.  So many things we take for granted, simple things, are all new to her.  She loves the trees and tells me she did not have trees in her China, nor pumpkins.  We are learning all about the season of autumn.  She loved this little book from the library and so she and Anna gathered some things like the busy squirrel did.....then made some pictures of all our finds.  Amy reminds me so much of a busy little squirrel. She scurries and scampers, gathers and stores, fidgets all the time and fiddles with anything that is in reach.  She has a bin under her bed, a bin in her cubby when you first walk in our house, and two drawers where she puts things she wants to keep........which is pretty much EVERYTHING.  Her bins and drawers hold a very odd assortment of things, but they are hers....she likes them and can keep them if she wants. She will often say, "can I havva this?" It may be an empty toothpaste box,rubber band, or junk mail.  Sometimes I convince her to fiddle with it , keep it for awhile and then throw it away.... if it is what most would consider......trash. 
 She is still in the business of rummaging through drawers  and cabinets.  For the most part she will "look at it, and then put it back"  as I have trained her to do.  Sometimes though, things still end up in strange places.  I am a person who thinks everything has a place and should be...... put back in that place.  Amy is teaching me that you can put anything wherever you decide to sit it down.....or better yet, put it away in some other drawer.  Sometimes it makes me feel crazy.  I know I put something in one place and then I can not find it.  Recently I was in the middle of making a new recipe and my recipe disappeared.  I looked everywhere and could not figure out what I could have done with it.  I had to go look it up again on the computer and I was not sure which site I had printed it from.  Massive hot flash at this point.  Finally found recipe on line...... reprinted....tried to rush to finish dinner and get it in the oven...... all the while feeling like a crazy person,  "what in the world did I do with it" kept going in my head in between continuing the search. Truth be told, I have done some scatter brained things as we try to adjust to  being a family of 6.
Found original recipe weeks later under a magnet on the side of the fridge where Amy put it with her picture, so she said.....and she does love to put things on the fridge with magnets.  Ok.  At least I am not as crazy as I thought.  Hugged that rascally little squirrel of mine and felt a wave of relief.  Similar situations happen several times a week. Maybe I'm losing my mind, ok,... whew maybe not.  I can't always assume it is Amy as I have some guys around here that don't always put things back where they belong either. So I search, I pick up, put back......spend too much time searching, picking up, and putting back. This is  really testing my "everything has a place" philosophy.  
Actually, I am feeling like a busy little squirrel.......MYSELF!


Amy likes to dig out the "light up" gadget they put in dollar store toys....she just wants to know where the blinky light is coming from! Note it still works in these pictures.

Nannie had a clear bag.  Amy asked for it.  Nannie gave.  Within minutes, Amy filled it up with "stuff" from her bins. She likes being able to "see" everything in her bag.  Hauled it around all day.


No comments:

YOU MIGHT LIKE THIS: