Family Picture

Family Picture

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Father's Day

The girls love to hear me tell them stories of Scott from the past.
 I have purposely shared with them his protective nature. I purposely speak of his love for us and of his goodness to us, his family.
With Amy's past experiences, some including mistreatment, trusting Scott has taken her longer than it did for her to trust me.  Her tendency, if Scott tried to discipline would be a fight or flight response.  Scott has had to tread lightly and discipline her with gentle firmness, and no spanking.We have said more than once it sometimes feels as if you are trying to discipline with both hands tied behind your back because you really have to be careful in how you deal with her.  I have tried to do all I could behind the scenes so Amy would understand Scott's good character. I have shared with them how hard he works to make sure we have all we need. He spends time with them when he is home. Now one of Amy's favorite things to do with her dad and Anna is to, "Russle and Tussle" (their term for play rough housing) on the trampoline. It is a girl version of wrestle matches, and Scott tosses them around and squishes them, pulls their feet out from under them,  and I can hear the squeals and howls all the way from the basement, then the girls come up sweating, and huffing and puffing, saying they won! Sometimes they show me their trampoline burns and Scott comes up almost as sweaty as they are.
Scott has been a patient dad.  It has taken time, but he has won her over, her trust, her love and even her admiration.
 These stories are their favorites.
Story #1.When Scott and I were first married, we had a tornado come through our neighborhood. I began to run around  , not sure what to do. Scott firmly guided me down into our basement.  I sat on the bottom step and he stood over/ covered me to keep me safe.

Story #2. Another time Scott and I  were out walking and a big dog came running towards me barking, showing his teeth and growling, basically trying to come after me.  Scott immediately put his arms out and took his stance in front of me, making himself look like a big bear then growled back, scaring the dog off and protecting me. I act this one out and Amy will ask me to "do it again, Momma"!  Amy is afraid of dogs and has many nightmares about dogs chasing her.  She told me there were some bad dogs in China that roamed near where she lived.

Story # 3. I have personally seen Scott go into a pool on two separate occasions to help a struggling child in the water. One of those times he was fully clothed, tennis shoes, watch, and wallet as he jumped in amongst a crowded pool to help a child no one was watching, and who was in trouble.
He is always cool as a cucumber.  I am the freaker outer.  I wish I could stay cool in times of trouble.  My brain stops working or something. I am either deer in the headlights, or chicken with my head cut off.  No cool for me. Scott is the go to guy when there is any kind of emergency.

Story #4.  This happened recently as we had a huge copperhead on our lower back patio.  Scott had to kill it as it was very aggressive. So aggressive he had to shoot it.   Amy and Anna both said, "We are so glad we have our daddy to keep us safe"!

Here's to our Fathers on this day and to the powerful influence they have on our lives.  We thank you for providing for us, for protecting us and for loving us so well! We Love You!


Some pictures of today and some pics from the past.
Scott trying to watch the world cup soccer matches.  

My dad came over and we had a steak dinner.  Love these two dads!
I don't know what we would do without them!  We appreciate you!

Picking apples, dad helps Amy get some high ones!

Amy fell and got hurt on our playground which has a green roof. She made out this accident report.  Note she is top left corner with red hair and matching red earrings, arrow pointing down as she went to play.  She fell, hit her back and is crying (with a green face because she is upset and flowing red hair, tears falling).  Her dad came running (he has on a green shirt) and picked her up and carried her down ( note the arrows pointing up, down and sideways as they mark his path) then he made sure she was ok.  Then she went off (her in the red dress arrow pointing back to her dad) to go inside with dad because she was hurt and didn't want to play anymore. Then they ate popsicles.

Hold Daddy's hand

Which way at the zoo?


Anna not so sure, that is a big duck, daddy! 

Hiking with Wesley and Will

Amy warming up to Scott on the day we first got her in China. She landed her toy on his head. Bouts of tears and bouts of trying to get to know us.


No comments:

YOU MIGHT LIKE THIS: