Family Picture

Family Picture

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Translators, Dentist and Doctor

A very kind Chinese lady from the Chinese Christian Church in North Atlanta has been working with us but as of now, is unable to find us a translator/tutor for Amy.  As we have talked, we discovered that she too is from Shijuizhuang. She called me one day and said her husband would come to our house to go over some things that were concerning us. I agreed and was planning on paying him for his time.  He came and spent over an hour with us. We had some safety issues and so we went through the house with Amy.  Room by room to cover specifics.  Bathroom: SIT not stand in tub, do not turn on hot water as momma does that now, and flush toilet only once.  Porches: do not climb on railing.  Kitchen: oven and cooktop hot....do not touch.  Computer....do not touch.....one day you will be able!  Do not leave the house alone.  Must have someone with you to go outside.  Do not ever go past Nana and PaPa's house without mom and dad.
Amy liked having him here and talked his ear off.  I had him ask her some things and tell her some things. I had noticed that Amy seemed scared or concerned every time we drove to go somewhere, even after using google translator to tell her where we were going.
He reassured her that this is now her permanent home.  That even if we go somewhere, we will come back. Even if she goes to school, she will come back home.  We are her family.  Amy was very serious for this conversation and nodded her head yes in approval.
She told him, this is a good home.  That she has a good mama and baba.  She told him that mama holds her when she gets a boo boo and that we take care of her. Told him she likes her brothers and sister. Told him we have a cat that says, meow... in the basement. She also asked him to cut her a slice of the pound cake under the glass cake plate. He laughed at her and translated.  I told him to tell her later after dinner.  This girl loves my cream cheese pound cake. Licks the crumbs off the plate. 
Amy kept shushing me as she preferred to do all the talking.  He corrected her and tried to tell her it is not right to shush parents.  Parents do the shushing.  YES!!!!
I got him to ask her if she is afraid of any thing, or has any concerns.  She told him that she is afraid of the dog down the street.  
She also told him she has never been to school.  She wants to be the big sister and not be the little sister. 
In China, eldest sister is of higher ranking order in the family than younger sisters.  This does not sit well with Amy and she would like to trade places with Anna so another post will be following about this particular subject.   
 I tried to insist, but this very kind man refused payment. Said he admired our concern and compassion  for Chinese orphans and that he was very happy to help us. 
 Thank you, Lord, for providing for us.


Amy did very well at the pediatric dentist.  Even had a very loose tooth pulled, she did so well.  Brave girl.  Said "AHHHHH", over and over again as she gets the whole doctor/dentist thing confused.  The good news is that her teeth are in good shape. The dentist was very surprised as he has dealt with adoptees before and there are often problems.   Will go in for xrays and such in a few months when she is better adjusted. Got her teeth cleaned and painted with fluoride so we are set.  



Amy also had a doctor's appointment.  Had to have a major blood draw and four immunizations. Starting over on them all.  So many lab tests the doctor did not think they would get enough blood.  They did though and Amy was very brave.    
Our insurance provided a wonderful Mandarin speaking translator for our visit.  She was fantastic with Amy and Amy worked well with her, in spite of the dialect difference.    We were able to get Amy's vision and hearing tests done which accomplished a lot more than I expected.  Thank you again, Lord for your provision.  
Amy's tests checked out well and the only concern was that she had some low lead exposure.  Praying time now out of the exposure and good nutrition will correct.  Amy made the translator laugh when she told her this, " Don't you like my English? My Mommia speaks English.  I speak very good English to my Mommia!"

I lift up my eyes to the hills----where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. Psalm 121:1

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your blog is very informative for me ,Actually I have a pain in my teeth and i was find the solution for it ,I know dentist in san jose is expert for it .It’s very easy for me if you can give me the suggestion for it by sending e-mail…

YOU MIGHT LIKE THIS: